Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Nov 2015 22:02:47 -0500
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@FRONTIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: A Westy awning another Option

Hi all

My 2 Cents. Retractable Awnings and other awnings are fine pending your wants and needs.

Not to show off OR do a shameless plug but I have been making a few awnings for The VWs from 68 to 91 Buses and Vanagons for a few years.

Not saying they are good or bad or that you should get one or need one. But this is another option but the thing has to be taken down and set up. Nice thing is standard Marine style hardware, Fittings and materials that will last the test of time and Wind. Personally I have been in some very extreme conditions and the Tension awning that I make has always come through. http://fanchers.com/278/Vanagon%20Westy%20Side%20Awning.htm

Easy to set up and take down just learn to tie a truckers hitch and you will never need fancy gadgets on tieing it down that will fail. Coupled with the Claw earth anchor that remains to be the best tie down I have been able to find and it will take an act of mother nature being really mad at you to pull from the ground. http://fanchers.com/283/The%20Claw.htm

Simple and easy the way it should be. If in the Rain drop the outer poles and to the lower position and retie the ropes and it will sheet off away from the bus. High winds No real issue if secured correctly. I was in some very scary wind storms and afraid to loose my camper top more then the awning. both hung on but was a wild ride. I have had some customers that said they forgot to lower the outer poles in the rain and had about 100 plus gallons of water pooled in it. But it held. Had another that is a full timer in the desert and leaves it up all the time and does not worry if it will be off when he gets back. Only comes down when you take it down.

Here is all the stuff we make for the Vanagon. Again shameless plug but if really wanting to see all or other options I thought I would toss this out there. I designed it since I personally will not drill a hole in my Vanagon or put screws in. Just not something I ever want to do or would like to do. Also If something were to break it is a trivial part and easily replaced and can be done anywhere you can find a heavy duty sewing machine person. No broken obsolete part that you will never find.

http://fanchers.com/72/80-91%20VW%20Vanagon.htm

Hope this helps. Again pending what your wants and needs are will depend on what you really want. All awnings have pluses and minuses. Chose the best for your needs. But heed warnings and do the research. Mine might not be right for you.

Thanks Jonce

Jonce Fancher www.fanchers.com 56 Single Cab 66 Square back 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Porsche 912 71 Sunroof Bus 78 Convertible Bug 85 Vanagon Westy Zetec 1 Understanding wife 2 Kids and Molly ( Beagle / Terrier Mix )