Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:42:16 +0000
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: crank, wont start
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com>

Since several of us have commented on coil problems, I am not sure to whom you are asking the question. But I'll chip in. I don't have any idea what causes coils or motor windings to fail, other than the obvious overcurrent (not likely in a car I don't think) and the likelihood that somewhere in a thousand feet of wire, maybe, per coil, and of millions of coils, there are bound to be a few bad spots or assembly mistakes. Anyway, I don't know what makes a wire break in a coil but I know what they act like with a broken wire. Working on British cars for my whole youth taught me the symptoms. They won't start until it gets warm and the expansion of the windings get close enough together that they touch or the voltage will jump the gap. So they run fine. But when they quit running they cool off and the windings retract, and you won't get a spark until the coil is warm.

I can't think of a VW of mine that has had this problem but I did have it happen on a 1977 Porsche 911. But like I say when a car won't start in the morning but will when it warms up and it stays running OK no matter what the ambient temperature is, it's most likely the coil.

Jim