Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Nov 2015 14:23:46 -0500
From:         Michael McSwain <michaelmcswain@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gabriel Hijackers on an 84 Vanagon?
Comments: To: Ryan Perry <rjdperry@gmail.com>

Another tip on fitment. Since the steel sleeve that goes through the bushing is too long to fit into the shock mounts on the van I pulled them out, cut them to length and then put them back in. Did my first cut with a dremel and it was a little messy. For the rest I went to a plumbing type pipe cutter. The kind with the wheel that clamps down on the pipe, then you rotate it around the pipe a few times then tighten, rinse and repeat. That was much easier, cleaner and more precise.

It was a bit of a pain getting the shocks mounted. I sort of had to use the weight of the vehicle to push the bushings into the mount. I'm sure these aren't the best shocks in the world, but compared to the old broken junk I replaced, they made a huge difference! Very happy so far and now it's making me want t replace the front ones.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Ryan Perry <rjdperry@gmail.com> wrote:

> These are what I put on the van. These are rear only though.... > Also, perfect mounting location passenger side behind tire on the rear > quarter panel on the downward facing lip. Hole already there and > everything. I keep a small foot pump in the van to adjust the pressure. Run > about 60# to 80#, 120# when loaded. > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMA96W?ref_=hit_wr_dt_vr_md_pt > > On Sun, Nov 22, 2015, 1:41 PM Ralph Meyermann <ralphmeyermann@gmail.com> > wrote: > > > Sound's like what I need at less of a cost. Anyone have the part #'s? I > can > > do the fitment myself, I've gotten tired of the front shocks banging when > > they top out/ hit the last of their extension > > On Nov 22, 2015 11:33 AM, "Keith Hughes" <keithahughes@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > > > I've been running these for years on my '86 Westy without issue. I > have > > > the VanCafe lift springs so the length is right. But I've not > > experienced > > > any problem at all with fitment to the shock mounts. They go right in. > > > Not sure if the '84 is different or not. I never run more than 15 psi > in > > > mine, and they work just fine. > > > > > > Keith > > > ------------------------------ > > > > > > Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 17:13:41 -0500 > > > From: Michael McSwain <michaelmcswain@GMAIL.COM> > > > Subject: Gabriel Hijackers on an 84 Vanagon? > > > > > > Recently purchased a set of Gabriel Hijackers for my 84. I > > > saw various > > > posts saying that they would fit a 2wd even though all the > > > auto parts > > > places say it fits synchro only. Well now I'm having trouble > > > getting them > > > to fit into the upper and lower mounting brackets on my > > > van. There's a > > > steel sleeve that goes through the bushings. It doesn't seem > > > to want to > > > come out and it's a perfect fit for the mounting bolts. > > > Problem is that > > > it's too long to fit into the mounting brackets on the van. > > > And even if it > > > would come out, the resulting hole through the bushing would > > > be too big for > > > the mounting bolt. > > > > > > Anybody have any experience with this? > > > > > > -- > > > m. > > > > > > > > >

-- m.