Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Dec 2015 12:12:15 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: : Snow Tire Recommendation- re studs
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Thanks for the clarification Dennis, and I now remember the information for the XL tires being on the placard. One more question: Do XL tires, which are passenger car tires for big cars as I understand it, require the conversion factor for load?

Thanks again, Dave

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > For the 87 and later vans the placard will have pressure listings for the LT tires and the 205/70-14XL tires. The truck tires are of a design that needs higher pressures to carry any given load. If you go with the 205/75-14 use the listings for the 205/70-14XL. Do be sure this tire is rated for 44psi. If it is rated for 35psi don’t use it. The 215/70-14 Winterforce is the same diameter as the 205/75-14 and placed side by side the same as the 27X8.50-14. It is rated for 44psi. At 1554 pound rating it is only rated 26 pounds less that the OEM than the original equipment 205/70-14XL. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dave Mcneely > Sent: Friday, December 4, 2015 8:01 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: : Snow Tire Recommendation- re studs > > Did not see the 195/75R14 on the site. Did see 195/70R14. Of course, the 205/70R14 matches the diameter of the Hankooks I currently run more closely than either of those sizes does. I have read about these tires before, and they are given good reviews. But, the maximum pressure is low for the camper, which calls for 53 psi rear. Comments, anyone? > > mcneely > > ---- Al Knoll <anasasi@gmail.com> wrote: > > Toyo makes a fine snow tire that has embedded walnut shell pieces. Legal > > year round. Available in 195-75/14. Good in the wet, the slushy, the > > snow and even pretty good on ice. YMMV of course. More here > > https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/observe-gsi5-studless-passenger > > -cuv-suv-winter-tires > > > > Pensionerd. > > > > On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > > > ---- Stephen Engel <sengel543@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > > > Not good for the pavement either. Here in Vermont some people > > > > drive on > > > their studded tires all year. > > > > > > Is it legal to drive on studded tires year round in Vermont? I knew > > > you guys had long, rough winters but surely not all year. Of > > > course, throughout the West, getting stuck in snow because of > > > inadequate traction is a crime. We are advised to carry chains if > > > driving into high mountains, even in summer. I have never bothered, > > > but then I have only occasionally driven into the mountainous West > > > up until I moved out here. I do have chains of course, but haven't carried them in summer before. > > > > > > Here in Washington we are allowed to drive on studs from 1 November > > > until sometime in spring, maybe 15 April. I have non-studded > > > Blizaks on my Prius. Consideribg General Grabber AT2 for the > > > camper, but still undecided. If I get them, I will stud them, as > > > the camper is of course not as good on snow and ice as the Prius is. > > > With the Blizzaks, it seems great so far. > > > David McNeely > > > > > -- > David McNeely

-- David McNeely