Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Dec 2015 17:09:47 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: All-Terrain 8.5x27 tires
Comments: To: Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM>

What you were told is now law in many states. Here in New York difference in tread of 4/32 or tires at 4/32 or less the better tires go on the rear. Also, winter or all terrain tires have to be fitted on all fours.

Dennis

I am no tire expert, but when I have asked the tire shop about rotating tires, they first evaluate the treads and told me they will not put tires with less traction on the back of the vehicle. Their explanation was that in a low traction condition, the preference is to have the front wheels loose traction, i.e., plow (understeer) as oppose to the rear wheels loosing traction and causing oversteer, vehicle goes into a spin.

So the question is which tires have less traction? In general, I think the tires with the least amount of tread (assuming the tread design is the same) would have the lowest traction in a wet, ice or snow situation. But if all the treads are the same depth, then it would be combination of tread design and age of rubber. I don't think there is a clear cut answer.

If you can tolerate the noise, I would go with the same tires on all corners.

Of course, if your Westie is a Syncro then this tire combination is an automatic no-no.

-Dick W-

Planning a trip next month down the I-5 from BC to CA and there may be snow on the pass between OR and CA. I picked up a set of four good used BF Goodrich All-Terrain 8.5x27R14 tires as part of another deal and put these on my '87 Westie. The handling is fine but the road noise is a good deal more than I like. Would it be safe to use a pair of my previous 195/70R14s on the front and leave the All-Terrains on the back? I'm no tire expert and am not really sure about the difference between these tires.

Thanks, Rick