Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Dec 2015 21:29:42 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Westfaila
Comments: To: Christian Smith <christian.smith.84@gmail.com>

Where in New York? I’m on Long Island.

You’re looking at oil temperature. The heads will be drastically different like 350 to 400.

I’m not out to scare but if something is wrong the longer you wait the worse it will be. Cores for these engines are getting real tough to come by. New heads are available. Once the case is messed up machine work and welding may be the only hope.

Get it evaluated preferably by someone willing to train you on the way and develop a plan. Yes, compression and leak down, you really need both, oil pressure, cylinder balance, (performance).

Dennis

From: Christian Smith [mailto:christian.smith.84@gmail.com] Sent: Monday, December 7, 2015 9:23 PM To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>; vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: 81 Westfaila

I have a temperature gauge installed and it consistently held between 180-190, we drove slow and easy in an effort to go easy on the engine and keep the temp down.

So just to make sure I understand, t he immediate step is to have a compression and leak down test?

Is there anything else you recommend I have replaced or looked at.

Also, I'm in New York, would you have any suggestions as to a mechanic who could help out with these things?