Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Dec 2015 00:24:37 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sick of overheating....Friday question and comment....
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

yes Don, subaru engines ..great and awesome as they generally are, are known for 'head gasket issues' . Quite common. Not until over 100K miles usually.

they can be intermittent with this issue. Basically exhaust gases displace the coolant in the engine ....water pump can't circulate a gas .. It can be hard to identify too. A sniff test on the pressure bottle my not reveal hydrocarbons i the coolant. I've seen the sumptom so bad it puffed up a brand new waterboxer coolant pressure bottle like a football. Sometimes there's black soot in the coolant.

you probably have a SOCH 2.5 ... if head gasket work is done, it's super important to get the heads resurfaced. it turns into a big job often ...'expanding' to timing belt, oil seals, tensioner and guide wheels and more.

as for used engine ...there's ..forget his name ...it's a very funky subaru only junk yard in Gaston , Oregon . Basically a ravine full of subaru's in the woods near a small town north of Corvalis. . John is the guy's first name. there it is brain ..John Lemley.

Scott

On 12/11/2015 7:10 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > I've been reading all the helpful suggestions on the overheating diesel > vanagon.... I've just been through something quite similar with my S.O.s > Subaru forester 2.5 liter....same weird almost instant overheating > (sometimes, sometimes not at all) Been to a couple of shops with it now > and the mechanics have been stumped.....Internet wisdom says > "headgasket"....so what are you Subie conversion guys and gals doing for > motors now? I am being quoted around $3k for a rebuilt motor or a > headgasket repair on that car....someone bartered it to her in the first > place, so we're thinking just junk the thing and get another..What say you > Subigon peeps? > > On the overheating diesel.....I have an inline gas motor in my van (same > castings as a diesel motor), mounted with diesel coolant hoses and > bars.....Mine has some hose routing that is.....'devious'? anyhow, there > are some very arcane bends and junctions in mine that make no sense to > me...though I have been successful in driving it around for some years now, > I never bothered to try to follow the coolant path....it worked when I got > it, so I kept it the same.. > > When I first began with this van, I changed all the fluids and of course, > got a big air bubble in the cooling system...and being a Vanagon > Rookie....I went...."Hey, it can't be overheating, the heater is blowing > cold",,,,and then I read up on bleeding the systems...I could easily and > clearly see a stream of bubbles coming out of a small hose that spliced > into the larger hose that returns coolant to the pressure tank...."De Nile" > syndrome caused me to say...."Good, all that trapped air is coming out of > the cooling system"....but of course, it was a now-leaking headgasket....I > drove it over 3 thousand miles, Portland, Oregon to Mexico.... with the > leaking headgasket. I got really good at topping up my radiator at gas > stations on that trip.....I could go along with my eye on the temp gauge > and my hand near the heater outlets...When the heater stopped heating, I > would stop for gas, knowing my coolant level was getting low....I made what > I guess is a Libby Bong....I took a length of steel brake line and mated > it to a small funnel with an "S-bend" that allowed me to insert it into the > radiator bleed screw hole on the top of the radiator....It became second > nature: Get out the big flat screwdriver, release the grill, take the > 13mm wrench and finesse off the bleed bolt. Grab my gallon of coolant and > pour it in till the bleed overflowed....close up, take out the gas hose and > proceed for another hundred or two miles.... > > When the trip was done, I pulled the head and lapped it at home on my > bench, to true up the head surface, puttin another head gasket in. All has > been good now for another 50k miles or so.....The strange thing on Vanagon > cooling systems is that they aren't very consistent, sometimes.... > Another tip....do NOT rule out the possibility of coincidence.....I've > encountered two completely un-related problems on a single vehicle....it > does happen. I once did an alignment on my 928 Porsche racecar and it > wouldn't start after.....We scratched our heads and racked our brains > trying to figure out what we'd done to cause that....when it was actually a > failed engine control module that just coincidentially failed while we had > it up on the rack.... > > anyhow, Subie motor source for cheap? anyone? happy friday.. >