Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:02:27 -0800
From:         vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Starter relay kit
Comments: To: Alistair Bel <albell@shaw.ca>

For a Syncro I would solder a wire pigtail onto the starter spade with heatshrink over it. Then a male spade for the other end. Put the new spade junction where you can reach it from the engine compartment.

Mark

Alistair Bel wrote: > Vanagon mailing list subject effect got me yesterday. Starter failed on my 86 syncro. I was lucky to get access to lift and got the bugger out last evening. > > Commutator very dirty, brushes down to a nub. I've dropped it off at local rebuilder and it is promised to be done this afternoon. > > For some reason I prefer having the local company rebuild ( they can rewind armature if needed) than use a factory recon. I've been very pleased with their work on alternators in the past. > > I'm thinking about what to do about the ign switch wire to the solenoid. I don't like how it is an exposed spade connection. I had to make a field repair a few years ago when that connection came loose. When I had the engine out later, I added a pigtail and installed a relay and that worked out fine. But I still relied on a plain Jane spade connection to the solenoid. > > I'm wondering if I should solder the spade connection on to the solenoid and then seal all up with liquid electrical tape. > > Alistair > >