Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Dec 2015 19:21:11 -0800
From:         Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Hard/no start story, '86 2.1, AT, mostly removed AC

Hi Volks,

Sparing all the gory details about how this happened, I pulled the in-dash stereo out of my 1986 Vanagon (2.1 L, automatic, removed AC, although some electrical parts remain) and now I have starting issues.

I had no starting issues previous to pulling the stereo (recently completed 10K mile, 7-week road trip). The stereo gets power from the auxiliary battery, not the main battery. I simply slid out of the mounting bracket and I unplugged the plug from the power and speaker harness.

Then I had an appointment to get to, and no start. Cranked fine, but no start. Maybe one “chug” in 15 tries. I thought I could hear the fuel pump kicking in (the van was making all the same sounds it always did; I have always paused after moving the key from off to “on” and before cranking). Then again, maybe at some times I did not hear the “whirrrr.”

Perplexed, I thought I jostled something behind the dash. I looked in the hole where the stereo was and everything looked OK (in other words, a mess of wires).

I’m kind of convinced at this point that it’s a fuel problem so I check the wires at the fuel pump. OK. I look at the Bentley and I locate what I think is the fuel pump relay above the fuse box. Pull it out, thwack it with my index finger and plug it back in. Starts right up. Make my appointment (at a storage facility), park it. Just for giggles, I turn it off and re-try. Success. Turn it off and go do other things for a month.

Fast forward. The van has just sat for a month, in mild temperatures and light rain in northern CA. I have some trouble starting it, but it does eventually fire. I move it to a friend’s place and park it. I go back the next day (to put a car cover on it) and have more trouble starting it. I turn it around (easier access to the sliding door with the cover) and turn it off. Try it again and nothing. I figure something needs more attention, so I give up.

I’m not near it or the Bentley now, but I’m going to have to go back and get it running in a couple weeks. My first thought is to replace the fuel pump relay.

After starting it runs fine. Idles high for too long (I think), but it's been doing that for a while (even before the road trip).

But why on earth would it cause me an issue after pulling the stereo (powered by a different battery)? I don’t believe in coincidences.

Is there some other start relay/contraption that I should be looking at? The relay in question is relatively cheap (I think), so it seems easy enough to start there. But if there's something else I should be taking with me when I return to it, I'd like some ideas now.

Thanks

Mark

-- 86 Campmobile Six-Seater "Monty"

Black dogs are euthanized at a greater rate than other-colored dogs, regardless of temperament. Learn about Black Dog Syndrome at http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ Learn about black dogs in a Vanagon at http://www.pbase.com/mhersh/image/108220533