Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Dec 2015 21:26:12 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hard/no start story, '86 2.1, AT, mostly removed AC
Comments: To: Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>

Trouble can also be in the box itself. It wouldn't be the first time a bus bar inside corroded or broke.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis. Now, I'm thinking the trouble might in fact be those connectors in the fuse box as why else after repeated attempts would my removing and replacing some unknown relay on top of the fuse box fix (temporarily) the problem. So that will be my first look.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> To begin with the fuel pump and fuel injection relays are mounted in a

> box above the ignition coil. There are no relays up front for either > unless something was added. You need to do some real troubleshooting. > From the ignition switch to the ignition coil the path does include > going into and back out of the fuse box. It is fairly common for those

> pin connectors to burn up a bit and create an intermittent connection.

> No fuses are involved but the box is used to connect the two harnesses. > > Looking at the wiring diagram note tracks 11 and 13. Bridge the wires > at connector A8 to D15 and this will address the connector problem. > Pay attention to the indicator lights while cranking the engine also. > It is common for an ignition switch to fail in a way where the > ignition circuit will turn on and then turn off again as the key is > turned to the cranking position. > > For those that also have starter not cranking issues also not the that

> the starter solenoid circuit also has a run through the fuse box. > Connectors B8 to D24. For those adding relays there is also a > connection to the brake warning light system and for westys with the > fridge relay. Both use the solenoid as a ground and replacing the > solenoid coil with a low current draw relay can mess up both circuits and disable the cruise control. > > Dennis > > > >

-- 86 Campmobile Six-Seater "Monty"

Black dogs are euthanized at a greater rate than other-colored dogs, regardless of temperament. Learn about Black Dog Syndrome at http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ Learn about black dogs in a Vanagon at http://www.pbase.com/mhersh/image/108220533