Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Dec 2015 06:59:21 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Noisy speedo
Comments: To: Dick Wong <sailingfc@DSLEXTREME.COM>

At 05:10 PM 12/27/2015, Dick Wong wrote: >down the street for the first drive of the day. It's definitely coming from >the speedo. As the drive goes on for more than a few minutes, the sound >will go away and not come back for the rest of the day. This morning, the

Also, try immediately slowing down until the chattering stops. When mine does this it's always on the first time of the day accelerating to highway speed, probably at fifty-some mph. If I ease off the gas and coast down a few mph it will stop, and won't be back for the rest of the day.

I was slower than you have been to realize it was the head chattering and not the cable; and so far I always manage to forget until the next time it happens.

VDO apparently fixed this late in production. Here's the tech bulletin summary from Unca Joel by way of syncro.org:

>Technical Bulletin Group: 90 Number: 90-01 Date: Nov 30, 1990 >Subject: Speedometer Noisy Model(s): Vanagon, except Syncro >Condition: Noise in the magnet shaft bearing of the speedometer. >Production: Speedometers with a spring loaded magnet shaft bearing >are in production as of: 4.90 VIN 25 LH 071 889 Service Solution: >Replace speedometer (No change in part number). Parts Division >supply only new version speedometers, which can be identified by the >graphite (dark gray) speedometer bushing. (Previously black) >Replacing speedometer cable: As of VIN 25 HH 040 185, the protective >sleeve is lengthened, eliminating the fastening marking. Note To >ensure correct installation, be sure to measure and mark the >distance "a" from end of cable to position the securing clip. >Distance between end of cable to the mark is 740 mm. (29 in.) 1 2 3 >__________ _____________||_||_____ :=|=========|_________/ >/______________||_||_____ ^ || || | (_O_) | ^ | | >|<----------------- a>| 90-789

Yrs, d