Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Dec 2015 10:11:25 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Noisy speedo
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

Eric, AFAIK there are no new speedometers available. The only way to go at this point is used or repaired. A number of our known vendors offer repair-exchange services. If you search speedometer repairs you'll find a number of folks that still offer these services for us old car folks. A few years ago I had the one from my Fox repaired. I think it was under $100 including shipping and it was only out for a week.

For your sticking needle most likely someone used the wrong oil and it is just gummed up. Some "clock" oil on the needle movement would probably take care of that. Use of a GPS can take care of that need and may be much accurate than that speedometer anyway. If you do send it out for repair inquire about getting it calibrated for the tire size you are using.

For the Syncro folks note that we are more prone to the noise issues as these speedometers are driven by the pinion shaft. The cable turns at ~2X the tire speed.

Dennis