Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2015, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Dec 2015 01:58:47 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Final Westy trip of the year repeatedly foiled

With the unseasonably warm weather I was determined to make the most of it and carry a bike up to the C&O Canal NHP for a couple of nights of camping and trail riding. The bride had to work and dogs are not permitted on the trail so I was going solo. I was on the verge of departing last week when household electrical problems forced a delay.  Repeated visits by the electricians kept me in town repeatedly and after the fix was completed we had three days of rain leading up to Christmas. Today, by golly, I was going. It began to mist heavily on the way out of the neighborhood and I realized the existing wiper blades sucked, so I turned back to install some blades I had stashed in the garage.  Once out of town I began to realize that I never should have unpacked after the second failed attempt to depart.  I was beginning to remember what was not packed or loaded but I had the bike, I had some grub and my duds, and I was finally on the way on a Westy trip for a few warmish days. The mist continued during the drive, mist too heavy for the intermittent setting but just light enough not to require the On setting.  Maddening, but traffic was moving well.  All those poor bastards heading home after Christmas and I was on my way to go camping.  The van was running fine, and I was about three hours out and an hour from my destination when I heard that highway sound--flat tire.  And not just flat, but totally shredded.  No mere tire plug or can of Fix-A-Flat for this one. I was prepared to change it but this presented a predicament.  I'd had trouble finding a stock size reinforced tire in Miami in June during that trip's tire failure, so the likelihood of finding something in boondock Virginia/Maryland on a holiday weekend would be even more remote.  I decided to abort and return home rather than risk a second tire failure and have no spare.  The tire gods had spoken: "Go home, dude, and buy four new tires for those CLK wheels you have in the garage." Southbound now, I decided to play it safe and I stopped in Staunton at Valley Westys to see if they had a spare wheel and tire I could buy. If I could get one I knew I would surely not need it, but the place is closed weekends.  I then stopped at a VW place in Fishersville and that fellow was open, but the only van wheel/tire he had would not hold air.  Too bad, as he was only going to charge me $30 and that would have bought me peace of mind.  No choice but to drive the last hundred miles on three iffy tires and one good one.  Made it. So, no more Westy camping in 2015 and probably no bike ride on the C&O this year unless I try again in the Mopar minivan, but it just wouldn't be the same. However, if it stays warm I might just have to do it. Stephen