Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:18:31 -0800
From:         Craig C Forney <craig@OPUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rich Running....Vanagon Syndrome? HELP!

I agree with David. I have had this problem before, with the same symptoms as Richard.

The ECU is adjusting the mixture by adding more fuel to the air/fuel mix, since the O2 sensor is telling it is lean since there it senses no oxygen left in the exhaust, over-enriching the mixture.

Runs horribly as soon as the engine warms up a bit, and the ECU feeback control loop takes over. Flooring it disables the O2 sensor feedback for a bit.

Side effect is that you are pumping too much gas into the engine, some of which can end up in your crankcase, which will dilute your engine oil and can cause catastrophic results with your oil pressure and bearings, and can destroy your engine in fairly short order.

Change oil and filter immediately. And maybe again, after not too long.

And this is unrelated to the Vanagon Syndrome, both symptoms and solution.

Craig in Cupertino