Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jan 2016 16:39:40 -0500
From:         Frank Grunthaner <frankgrun@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wondering about coolant physics
Comments: To: OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET

Larry,

I posted the details to the list several eons ago and pictures were (I believe) posted on Alistair Bell's web site. You should be able to find the details with an archive search on my email address. In summary, with my '82 diesel conversions, I switched the primary coolant reservoir to the '83 version, added a coolant level sensor and then tapped the coolant level sensor to add a 1/8" NPT fitting going to 1/8" compression tube. In series with the compression tube fitting, I added a miniature ball valve for a shutoff function and then ran 1/8" nylon tubing to the gearshift pass-through area. I cut a 1/2" diameter hole to the side of the gearshift hole and brought the nylon tube through a grommet to the dash area. I used a triple loop of the nylon tube for slack, added a miniature brass tee-valve (2-way) to serve as a bleed port and connected everything to the gauge set. In the heater cover, I mounted a set of gauges including two Volt meters (one for the alternator circuit and one to monitor the secondary RV battery for the camper), an oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge and finally a water temperature gauge. As you can see, I like my gauges. In any case, I originally used VDO gauges and later switched to digital Speedhut gauges with their 270 degree display. For using the coolant pressure gauge, I fired up the engine, let it get to operating temperature and bled the line. With the nylon tubing, it was easy to see any bubbles in the line and then easy to eliminate them. Anytime I need to access the coolant system, I turn off the shutoff valve at the reservoir, maintaining the liquid circuit. Since the boost gauge is operating in the liquid hydraulic mode, the pressure and vacuum response is instantaneous. The fitting in the coolant level sensor includes a nylon extension that brings the inlet to the same depth as the bottom of the sensing electrodes. Been running this system for more than 25 years and the nylon has remained flexible with no leaks.

Hope this helps,

Frank Grunthaner

-----Original Message----- From: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET> To: Frank Grunthaner <frankgrun@AOL.COM> Cc: vanagon <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Fri, Jan 1, 2016 12:57 pm Subject: Re: Wondering about coolant physics

Frank

Can you give a More Detailed Explain' of How/Where you did this install ~

&Or ~ Post a Link to some Pic's ~

ORR ~ DeanB