Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jan 2016 16:02:49 -0800
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dodged a bullet -- blowed the oil filter right off

Mmmm -- fries.

My van gets parked on the street. I think that leaving a glowing heat lamp or lit light bulb under it overnight might draw attention . . .

4 degrees (F) last night. Up to a temperate 22F today.

The rare and possibly NLA block heater p/n "ZVP 289 104" -- possibly manufactured in Canada for VW? -- would be a nice option, if I could find one.

OlRiverRat Dean pointed me to a post on gerry.vanagon.com that suggests that this part was sold in Canada with a reported part number of LR20976 or "CSA Model OP8 LR 20976"

<http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4355040> about midway down.

But LR20976 seems to bring up frost plug or radiator cap heaters on ebay.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 01/02/2016 10:59 AM, David Beierl wrote: > At 01:34 PM 1/2/2016, KI4TLF wrote: >> I tried the dipstick heater, which didn't work too well. What I >> found that worked the best, was an infrared 150 watt spot bulb >> pointed straight up at the bottom of the engine. It's the same bulb >> you see hanging over your fries at a fast food restaurant. I put it >> and the coolant heaters on a timer for 2 hours prior to needing it. > > That's the heat lamp bulb I mentioned. Handy devices. Also good > over a workbench in a cold shop to keep your hands supple. > > Yours, > David