Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jan 2016 20:25:36 -0800
From:         Alistair Bel <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Headlight upgrades
Comments: To: KIM BRENNAN <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

The colour is one thing for sure, but the big deal is how a drop in unit will produce the light in a spot that approximates the same spot the halogen bulb does. This is so that the lamps reflector can work as designed. Notice how a high low beam H4 bulb has the filaments in different places.

There are very good led 7" replacement lamps available for good money. They don't mimic the halogen set up at all.

And there are bad 7" led lamp replacements too. Part of the problem is beam cut off in hi and low settings, and also the problem of advertising in lumens calculated from theoretical output of the led units in the lamp. The lumens stated may not accurately reflect the practical light output which is measured empirically with a meter and expressed as lux.

Alistair