Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jan 2016 02:08:09 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: FW: Mobil 1 0W 50 any one use it yet
Comments: To: Robert Clemmer <n51219@COMCAST.NET>

I have not installed an oil temperature gauge. But, my tencentlife cooler keeps the pressure up to around 10 psi at idle after extended high temperature highway runs, ambient temperature above 100 F. Before the cooler, idle psi would drop to under 5 psi, and sometimes the warning light would light up when dropping to idle after such runs. mcneely

---- Robert Clemmer <n51219@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > Dennis, > > You mention Florida trips. I'm curious how high your oil temperatures get on long cruises at high speed in high temperature conditions? My oil temperature will climb to 240-250 when it is 90+ degrees outside and pressure at those temperatures will fall to 30-35 lb. I'm am trying to learn if an external cooler really removes that much heat. My bus is just a 2.1 wbx with the factory cooler with 304k miles and still going strong. > > BobC > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Haynes > Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 10:49 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Mobil 1 0W 50 any one use it yet > > Are you using your van as a winter daily driver? Temperatures in the teens? If not than just stay with the 15w-50. As a test I have been using Fun Bus this past week as a daily driver. Tuesday morning was 15F according to the thermometer at my house. The engine has the 15w-50 used for the last two Florida trips. I have oil temperature and pressure gauges. On the under 20F days the oil pressure did go above 75 and at one point almost hit 90 psi. From my house I approach a highway in about a mile. On these colder days pressure started dropping to normal ranges in 3-4 miles and the engine (coolant) was up to temperature in 5-6 miles. As I have an external oil cooler (with a thermostat) the oil does take a bit longer to warm up and on these trips never went over 165F. Oil pressure was still ~25psi at idle. > > Point is that unless you need to start it regularly with temps in the teens or lower the 15w-50 will work. I will be changing the oil this week to the 5w-50 to experiment and see how well it work when the weather gets warmer. Keep in mind that the engine in Fun Bus does now have 290K on it. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Eric Caron > Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:02 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Mobil 1 0W 50 any one use it yet > > Denis and others, > > Did I read earlier that there is a Mobil 1 0W 50? I’m using the 15W 50. > > I’m hoping to hear some reports before I do my next oil change. > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Auto Westfalia > in Chilly VT

-- David McNeely