Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jan 2016 06:40:12 -0500
From:         john <john@JHL.MGACOXMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '84 1.9L engine -- no start on cold mornings -- starts fine
              late morning
Comments: To: "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Hello Dennis and Scott:

Thank you very much for your replies. Â It is 43 degrees F here in Macon, GA, this morning and van started like a champ as it has done every evening this week around 6:45 p.m. when I go pick up my Son (and future VW mechanic) from high school (he is captain of the Bibb County high school robotics team -- First Robotics Competition). So, perhaps on cold mornings next week, some warm air to the ignition switch (plastic steering column shroud is long gone), may well be the answer.

BTW -- Where can I buy the remote start cable?

John

On Wed, 2016-01-13 at 20:19 -1000, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) wrote: > hard for me to understand why many people do not, in a > case like this, > immediately connect a Remote Starter Switch to the > solenoid trigger > terminal and good positive voltage. > > then push the button  ! . > if the starter goes ...then you know the problem is > somewhere in the > rest of the van's wiring. > if it doesn't go ... > do the old hammer trick, while holding it energized , tap > it with a hammer. > if it goes then, you've identified that your starter is > very like old or > weak. > > always check grounds of course ~ ! > > the remote starter connection thing is so handy, why not > just have a > dedicated wire in your engine compartment for that ? > heck ..some people have been known to make that wire long > enough so in > an emergency you can touch it to the hot terminal on the > alternator. > Heck again ...on these 25+ year old vans I sometimes > install a heavy > duty generic starter button up front .. > so if the original circuit doesn't work you still have > that one . > > Scott > > On 1/12/2016 3:25 AM, Larry Alofs wrote: > > Can you hear/feel your starter relay click when you turn > > the key? > > > > > > On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM, john <john@jhl.mgacoxma > > il.com> wrote: > > > > > My van ('84, 1.9L engine, automatic transmission) is > > > having > > > to spend this winter in my driveway. Â Once overnight > > > temperature drop into the low 30s or worse (for middle > > > Georgia), turning the key to the start position will > > > not > > > energize the starter. Â I can hear fuel pump turn on. > > > Â Not a > > > battery issue as interior lights are bright. Â > > > Neutral-start > > > switch on automatic transmission shift lever is > > > bypassed. > > > > > > I have a Bosch starter relay in the starter motor > > > circuit > > > and everything works fine once the van has been in the > > > sun > > > for a couple of hours. Â I am wondering if the > > > contacts in > > > the ignition switch (12 to 15 years since replacement) > > > are > > > worn to the point they will not make contact in the > > > cold. > > > > > > Is this a possibility? > > > > > > Thank you, > > > > > > John > > >