Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:51:46 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Upper control arm bushings failed again, upgrade advice sought
Comments: To: "email99@bellsouth.net" <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>

Ed,

I've not done upper control arm bushings on a Vanagon but I have replaced them in other vehicles and I don't understand why yours are prematurely failing. Even the originals should go past 100,000 miles.

There are issues that will contribute to early failure and here are some that I can think of right away.

Incorrect installation / damaged during installation - For example I was helping a friend with his car and he drug out a sledge hammer & socket to beat the replacement bushings in place. Damaged upper control arm - Openings distorted or something's bent. The suspension has been modified to extend the upper control arms to their limit - has the Vanagon been lifted? If it's been lifted to where the suspension can top out then that in itself will eventually destroy your bushing. Your upper ball joint is far stronger than your upper control arm bushings!

In other words, if you are installing them correctly then you need to find out what's damaging the bushings. If you don't it does not matter who's brand you install - you will be replacing them again!

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com http://goo.gl/niRzVw

Well, three years ago I replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends and upper control arm bushings on my '86 Westy, putting grease fittings in the ball joints and tie rod ends. The greased joints are still tight but the upper control arm bushings are clunking and squeaking on one side once again. Only a long time Vanagon owner can appreciate how frustrating this is. I can't recall how many times I have done this in the past 24 years.

So it's time to fix it again and I can't see using original design bushings so I'll ask the list to share its knowledge.

Are there upper control arm bushing upgrades other than those produced by GoWesty and those produced by T3 Technique?

What experience have people had with these upgrades? What problems?

How many miles do you have on them and are they still tight? Do they make noise? Have any failed? Is there a noticeable difference in the ride? Are GoWesty bushings secure without spot welding? What is your perception of the design and quality of the parts? Do you have any other comments?

I appreciate any and all comments about the upper control arm bushings. You may post these back to the list or send them only to my email if you wish.

Thanks in advance.