Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jan 2016 07:46:53 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlight relay kits
Comments: To: Mike Saint-Amour <mikesaintamour@hotmail.com>

It's hard to guess what might be wrong without knowing the details of the instructions from "Vanagon westfalia parts" or the year of your van.

Instead, I will describe the relay upgrade that I did as well as I remember, and what I would recommend to anyone.

I bought an in-line type of fuse holder, 30 amp perhaps and enough hefty wire to reach from the battery to the headlite area at the front. I attached a loop terminal to one pigtail of the fuse holder so that it could connect to the postive battery terminal (solder, heat shrink tubing, dielectric silicone "tune-up grease"). The long wire was joined to the other end of the fuse holder and then routed up to the front headlite area. As I recall this involved drilling holes thru the battery box and firewall, installing grommets, and raising the carpet to some extent. Once this is done you have plenty of current available there to power headlites, louder horn, foglites, etc. without disturbing or over loading the fuse/relay assembly. A terminal block of some type can be installed up front.

For the headlites, two relays are needed, one for the high beams and one for the low. Dual socket assemblys are available. Some provision to protect them from the weather would be a good thing. The postive supply wire should connect to one side of each relay's switched contacts (pin 30, I believe) and the postive leads from both low or both high beams to the other contact connection (87). The coil of each relay should go to ground on one side (86) and the other coil connection (85) is powered by the wire coming from the dash/steering column. Now the headlite switch, etc. needs to only supply the very small current needed to activate the relays.

While you are there, it is time to take all the ground wires from the headlites and connect them securely to the body near by. All connections should be shined with sandpaper and protected with silicone grease. Coming from an electronics background, I tend to solder other connections when possible but I understand that there other philosophies and that there are crimp connections that are very good.

The above approach improved the brightness of my headlites a noticeable and measurable amount. The was an increase of more than one volt in the electrical potential delivered at the headlites. An added benefit of course should be extended life of the headlite switch, etc. It has worked fine for more than 5 years now.

Try it ; you'll like it.

Larry A.