Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:37:32 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rewiring '87 foil for an '85 single oil pressure system?
Comments: To: vw_van_fan_Mark <madvws@cox.net>

Turns out there are three 470 ohm resistors on my old foil. I had to extend the leads on one, but works perfectly!

Thanks again.

Stuart

-----Original Message----- From: vw_van_fan_Mark [mailto:madvws@cox.net] Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:26 PM To: Stuart MacMillan; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: rewiring '87 foil for an '85 single oil pressure system?

Yes, you jumper the foil plug with a 470 ohm resistor. That is what the factory left out or put in to enable the later foil to work as a replacement foil for both types. Resistor "in" for 84/85 tach foil replacement with a simple single oil switch setup. Or resistor "out" so the foil uses the dynamic oil circuit board found in 86-91 vans with 2 oil switches. Here is a photo of how to do it.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/486175.jpg

Mark

Stuart MacMillan wrote: > Swapped my wonky '85 cluster for one from an '87, and the oil light > flashes and the buzzer buzzes all the time. I have an OP gauge, so I > know everything is fine. I need to rework the later type OP warning > system to work in an '85. > > > > There must be a way to jump the plug or something that goes into the > speedo to make this work, anyone know how? I've unplugged it for now. > Even with a gauge, I'd like to have the light, and now it doesn't come > on when the ignition is switched on. > > > > The GoWesty foil replacement kit says it has a dip switch for this, so > it must be possible. > > > > Thanks! > > > > Stuart >