Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jan 2016 11:39:57 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning agents?
Comments: To: Robert Clemmer <n51219@COMCAST.NET>

My rule of thumb is to use the least strong solvent to begin with and then go up in nastiness from there. Since I can't see the glue you are referring to, if there's a thin layer of glue evenly spread, I'd start with Goo Gone and if that didn't melt it, go through a progression mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, and acetone. Acetone doesn't hang around very long, so you'd have to work very quickly with it. I've found that presenting a fresh/clean side of your wiping rag(old wash cloths do pretty well in this regard) prevents you rubbing old adhesive into the next section you're trying to clean. Toluene(the active solvent in contact cement) is a good solvent too, but hard to find these days in cans since its VOC output is rather nasty. I've got an aerosol can of Kleen Strip adhesive remover that I bought at a yard sale that works pretty well, but the can looks to be a generation ort wo old and maybe hard to find if not already discotinued.. A fine(gray or white) Scothbrite pad from the auto body supply shop might help with removal too, but they tend to clog with the adhesive during the process

If the glue looks like it was shot from a caulking gun(bigger blobs of glue that stand tall enough for a scraper to catch on) then maybe judicious use of a heat gun might be in order, along with a plastic or brass-bladed scraper and finish up the leftover reidue with the solvent. Wear gloves and make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Most of my adhesive removal experience comes from outfitting whitewater canoes and kayaks and now occasionally removing adhesive and paint off old collectible hand tools. Good luck with your clean up

DM&FS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Clemmer" <n51219@COMCAST.NET> To: "vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:20:50 AM Subject: Cleaning agents?

I'm in the process of replacing the carpet in my 91 tin top. Before I go out and buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't work, does anyone know of a solvent or cleaner that will remove the old adhesive residue that the factory used to glue down the carpet?

Also, any tips from those of you that have replaced their carpet with the carpet from Sew Fine will be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob C