Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:49:54 -0800
From:         T3 Technique <christopher@T3TECHNIQUE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lower control arm bushing r&r on 89 westy
Comments: To: Richard Koller <brvkoller@GMAIL.COM>

As Rick explained, it is definitely possible to change out those bushings without having to remove the arms from the van.

Three tricks that help:

Use a spring compressor to remove as much spring tension off of the arm as possible.

When you go to reinstall the lower control arm bolt, place a jack under the arm near the ball joint so that you can lift the arm upward as much as possible. This helps align the bolt holes with the inner sleeve of the bushing by reducing the angle that the radius rod puts on the lower control arm. It helps position the inner sleeve more parallel, or in line, with the bolt holes in the chassis.

Use a ratchet strap to pull the arm toward center while you are installing the bolt. When you jack up the arm, it will want to walk out away from the van. The ratchet strap will pull the arm back inward so the bolt holes align with inner sleeve.

Thanks, Christopher www.t3technique.com