Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 2016 20:05:01 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Small Car Conversions
Comments: To: Jim Hildt <jim@CHNWMD.COM>

Sometimes that "peace of mind" is false. And sometimes even new parts fail. Fun Bus still has the original radiator. My wife's 2012 Jetta had the radiator fail last summer. Son's 2013 GTI ate a water pump last year also. Sometimes old is also tested and proven! Fun Bus engine tired and proven at 290K. When it fails I will cobble together pieces as needed with some new heads rings, whatever is needed including a good used case (I have a few) and make it go some more. If it fails on a trip a U-Haul and trailer will get it home. And it won't cost $15k to just keep it going. I need my money to support that motor home habit!

Dennis

Exactly. My peace of mind regardless of the engine replacement or conversion, the mechanical parts need to be new, best of breed. It can be lonely out there when 30 year old parts fail- not if, but when.

Jim

SC doesn't do much to late model 2.5 engines, and they have a couple of 2.2's, one completely rebuilt. See this page and you'll understand why it's $15k out the door: https://smallcar.com/conversions/vanagon-2.2-and-2.5l-conversions.html

Stuart