Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Feb 2016 16:35:58 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tune Up Poll
Comments: To: Tyler Hardison <tyler@SERAPH-NET.NET>

all right... and now we know you drive a 1.9 waterboxer engine ... or at least the fuel/ignition system on some waterboxer.

Doesn't that feel better, having lubed something properly. ? ! lol. scott

On 2/20/2016 3:53 PM, Tyler Hardison wrote: > At the risk of taking this list off PG-13... > > Guess whose little felt got a drop of lubricant tonight?? > > :) > > On Thursday, February 18, 2016, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> I would say that on a waterboxer engine, the spark plugs barely wear *at >> all* ~! >> >> Like 'maybe' the gaps will expand and electrodes get rounded ...a tiny >> bit over time. >> I have boxes of used waterboxer Bosch and NGK spark plugs that are good >> for thousands of miles yet. >> >> However... >> "It's NOT the parts ! ..it's the adjustments." >> >> for sure ...throttle switches fail to make contact after a while. >> Most that I have seen have not been adjusted since the Dark Ages. >> Some are corroded or worn beyond normal adjustment range, but still can >> be tweaked. >> >> timing doesn't get off at all normally. >> >> air filters 'may' get a little dirty eventually ..easily cleaned ...I >> just turn mine over and tap them on a clean concrete floor ...tons of >> dust comes out that way. >> >> spark plug wires ..mostly those last really well... >> but ...they don't last forever. >> >> Rocker arm adjustment ...ideally those never need attention .. >> but sometimes they do. Pretty rare. >> >> Oxygen sensor ...I'm sure there are Many of those running in Vanagons >> mostly dead or lalzy. >> >> Coolant temperature ..very important that it runs up to proper temp. >> 1/3 on the guage is not good, it's very bad. >> >> Changing the coolant. >> you can't change that too often. You never get all the old out .. >> Just look at any place a coolant hose goes on an aluminum connection >> ...corrossion forms there easily ... >> ...that's how the head gasket area inside the engine looks. >> >> Bosch distributor caps and rotors.. >> i carry good spares ..but those last practically indefinitely. >> >> for example...every 1.9 waterboxer distributor has a felt pad under the >> rotor. >> Does anyone even remember about those or know what they are for ? >> I've seen multi-thousand dollar rebuilds turned out without a drop or >> two of oil ..or even looking at it, on that felt that is there to lube >> the centrifulgal advance. >> >> and ..checked that the centrifugal advance is functioning properly >> ..that's part of a real 'tune up' ..right ? >> >> it's not 'the parts' ..it's the Service and Adjustment of things, and >> inspection . >> >> What good to new spark plugs do if say ....vaccuum leaks develope slowly >> over time here and there ? >> >> it's far more the lack of service, and keeping the very few adjustments >> correct, than it is 'replacing parts'. >> >> The parts barely wear if you keep it in Full Proper Running Order. >> >> they should start, idle, run, and accelerate perfectly. When they don't >> ....it's not usually from parts not being changed..unless it's been >> totally forever. >> >> have fun ! >> Scott >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On 2/18/2016 9:23 AM, Dan N wrote: >> >>> I would say 2 oil changes... >>> >>> oil filter every oil change >>> >>> spark plugs wire every 4 oil changes >>> >>> depending what kind of oil you use approx between 8K miles to 10K miles >>> >>>