Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:50:30 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expansion tank under pressure when cold?
Comments: To: Michael McSwain <michaelmcswain@GMAIL.COM>

Could be the early signs of combustion gasses getting into the cooling system. Loose or cracked heads.

Dennis

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Michael McSwain<mailto:michaelmcswain@GMAIL.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:40 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Expansion tank under pressure when cold?

My temp gauge is sporadically running a little high and I smell a faint sweet smell of coolant so I'm trying to track down the leak(s). So during all of this I tried to top off my coolant and noticed something unusual, or at least I think it's unusual. So when I look at my expansion tank coolant level is just above the upper hose inlet. Last time I did any maintenance to my coolant system I think I remember being able to open the expansion tank when the van was cold and add coolant if needed. I also remember being able to open the expansion tank with the engine running at around 2.5k rpms. Now no matter what the conditions are, every time I try to open the expansion tank the level quickly rises and the tank begins to overflow. Is that normal? Does that mean that I have too much coolant in the system or could it mean that there is a blockage or restriction somewhere? -- m.