Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Feb 2016 10:34:36 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C trouble... please help
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>

The fusible link may have been chosen based on cost alone. There is also one on the high speed radiator fan relay above the fuse box. Even in the low voltage DC world there are many different types-designs of fuses and holders and electrical engineers make decisions for numerous reasons. For the AC there are fuses for each of the fan motors and surprisingly these are on the ground side of those motors. That fusible link appears to be mostly to protect the alternator and the wiring harness from it. Fusible links are often chosen for continuous/motor loads due to their ability to dissipate heat. These are tolerant to be operated closer to their design limit over extended time periods and yet being able to clear the fault current when a short occurs.

Dennis