Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Feb 2016 00:34:45 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My van is HOME!!!!
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>

So, what really is a "balanced" crankshaft? Aren’t they all balanced from the factory? Balanced to a better specification? For some racers counter weight are added to reduce crankshaft whipping at the center bearing or to make things smoother! For a truly balanced engine the balancing has to include the crank, flywheel, clutch pressure plate and even the pulley. Of course once all this is done at clutch cover replacement much of this does not matter anymore. The short length of the WB crank and the opposed cylinder design eliminate the need for the counter weights for street use.

If the engine is set up correctly while things should be checked there should no need for any adjustments at 500 miles or most anytime. The hydraulic lifters properly adjusted will take care of any valve seating that goes on there and the O2 sensor will take care of the fine mixture control. At 500 miles a compression and leak down test should be performed for establishing a baseline and making sure all is well. If the piston-cylinder sets were replaced you need to consider the possibility of broken rings. There is a lot of junk out there. Oil analysis is also a good idea.

The 10w-30 should be fine for normal local driving. Run it at 70-75 for an hour and let's see what happens. Currently I'm running the Mobil 1 5w-50. It is working well from the single digits in New York to the 70s-80s down here in Florida (again, yea)!

As for fuel since I travel a bit I don’t get hung up on brand or type and except for lawn equipment places alcohol free fuel is almost impossible to find so the E10 it is. Just hasn’t been a problem.

Dennis