Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Mar 2016 17:32:36 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Manual tranny 3rd gear jumpout
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

too bad it's not Friday. I don't know 'all that much about Porsche 928's ( fortunately ) ... I would say though .. that car is a good example 'of insane German Engineering Run Amok.'

don't get me started ! what happens on a Porshce 944 when you shut off the car with a turn signal lever not clicked back to center ? The car is off, right ? ..so no lights would be on , right ? ha ha....the turn signal turns into a parking light when the car is off.

Road & Track said you could make money betting people they couldn't figure out how to set the clock time on that car ...it was that strangely hidden. Very 'german' ..as in 'too german.'

Vanagons are really quite good in that regard, generall speaking. Not much is too insane ( though hope you never have to adjust the length of the Clutch Master Cylinder push rod length ! ) The whole rest of the van ..reasonably well made, not too insane german engineering much at all.

I consider the Vanagon to be The Best VW Model overall, Ever. Most useful, well made, etc.

Scott On 3/2/2016 2:01 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > When I replaced a lot of the parts with stuff from van cafe....the plastic > ball, the boot and some other minor parts, the trans would go just barely > into a couple of the gears....I had to adjust the other end...the stick > end....all was good again.....I got good at making German cars shift > correctly with my 928 Porsche..... Has one of the most odd shift linkage > imaginable..... Front engine, rear transmission, torque tube to connect em, > and right on top of the torque tube (drive shaft?) Sits the shift lever, > with another rod and a mini-trailer ball that the shift stick uses to lever > around the gears.. > Anyway, the gear lever has to have a fixed point to "fulcrum" the > linkages around... and when you move one end, the other end sometimes has > to be adjusted, too.. > On Mar 2, 2016 3:39 PM, "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> That can be very serious John, >> jumping out of gear. >> You never want that happening. >> And it's not good to 'hold it into gear' more with pressure on the shift >> lever. >> >> now I *really* am wondering about the answer to those gear oil etc. >> questions ( and miles on trans ) I asked in another post. >> 'Generally' ..the shift linkage 'can't" cause it to jump out of gear, not >> usually anyway, though I image it's possible. >> >> Scott. >> >> On 3/2/2016 4:36 AM, Don Hanson wrote: >> >> Now the position of the shift lever needs adjustment at the base, I'd guess >> On Mar 1, 2016 8:03 PM, "John Rodgers" <jrodgers113@gmail.com> <jrodgers113@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> >> After adjusting the shifter from" no shift" to operational on my van, it >> now jumps out of third gear ocassionally. Any ideas as to why? >> >> John >> >> >> >>