Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:46:06 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Voltage Question
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

thanks Jim, that's what I thought. just never heard one called a muffin fan. I call them a 12 volt computer fan, and I use those here and there.

I had this happen on a Westy of mine once.. it's parked in really, really hot sun. Like blazing hot sun and 95 degree temps, with the left side towards the sun.

At some point I hear and hum and a tick-tick-tick. It's the orginal unshrouded fan, with a blade missing , running.

there's power to the temp sensing and fan circuit with the van just parked... no swithcing function anywhere , other than pull the fuse behind the driver's seat from the little box. That was an 83 or 84 perhaps.

Had a guy swing buy once in a Westy .. he's driving with propane fridge on full time. he shows me his fridge temp on a Radio Shack digital wireless temp display ( does 3 senders, which you can toggle between ). he's real proud he's got like 33 degrees F in the fridge.. his secret was a muffin fan behind one of the utility plug access doors on the side of the Westy.

17 volts for any sort of 12 volt charger or powersupply does not sound right to me at all, no matter how/when it's measured.

Scott

On 3/4/2016 2:03 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > A small, flat fan often used in applications to cool a computer and > such. Low voltage, built into a cage, very available and quiet. The > stock westy came with a very "non-muffin" fan as there was no shroud > to actually direct the airflow, just a fan blade to push air into > space. I got a GoWesty fridge fan upgrade that is a very nice aluminum > bodied muffin fan, and it is wonderful. Nothing like what came on the > fridge originally though. > > Jim > > On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 5:43 PM SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com <mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com>> wrote: > > HI Bill, > what's a muffin fan anyway ? > > like the fan on the back of a Westy fridge/sink unit, or what ? > > On 3/4/2016 8:06 AM, WILLIAM WITZ wrote: > > Let me be clear. the Battery Charge section of the Battery > Charger is working fine. It is charging at 12 V. at 2,10, 20 amps. > The section that puts out voltage to the 12 V. Muffin fan stop-ed > working so I found a small step down adapter that is rated at 12 > V. to power the cooling fan for the Charger.The adapter is putting > out 17.V How long will the fan last at this Voltage? I ran it for > five minutes and measured it with a I. R. gun and it was not over > heating.Thanks Again, Bill 84 Westy > > >