Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:53:28 -0800
From:         colin smith <colinmbsmith@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trans pan gasket

I just changed my automatic tranny gasket on my 84 Westfalia that I just bought a couple of weeks ago and it is nothing to be worried about. As others have said, the gasket tends to be difficult to fit because is very "floppy". Mine came folded up in a box along with a new filter and filter gasket ( around $10 from Van Cafe). I removed the ATF filler tube first to drain most of the fluid, then removed the pan to get the rest. Clean the pan lip and the groove in the tranny where the gasket fits well. Now comes the tricky bit. No matter what I tried i could not get the gasket to stay put on the pan while I tightened the bolts. Unlike most gaskets it does not have "ears" that the bolts go through to hold it in place. Since it was folded up it was not perfectly formed, nor did leaving it in the sun make it so. It just would not stay put in the pan. Solution is to use some gasket adhesive to hold the gasket in place (careful not to get any on the inside of the pan, obviously). Once I did that, everything went smoothly. I also replaced the filter and filter gasket which is very simple to do - just unscrew two phillips head screws in the filter cover to remove it and its gasket.

My tranny is losing fluid because there is a crack in the housing, apparently a fairly common thing. With full fluid the transmission works fine. I'm planning on fixing it with JB Weld as soon as it stops raining. You might want to check if yours has the same issue.