Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2016 19:28:37 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar panel, aux. battery, generator etc...
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com>

​ RE: Fridges and Aux Batteries and Solar and Generators and Such Not see a lot of response to the questions I'll chime in since this qualifies as a BTDT (almost) First, you are not going to find a true deep cycle battery in Group 41 size that will fit under the drivers seat. A couple of years ago someone found a source for such at a distributor somewhere in California but I don't have the details on that find and tht is the only deep cycle of that size I have ever heard of. This subject gets discussed at least once a year. Second, The fridge you are using sounds like the type that is going to be a power hog under any conditions. Check the specs and figure out the current draw, sound like very high. You might be well off the get a different fridge. If mounting in the Westy cabinets the Truckfridge (see westyventures.com) is a perfect solution. For a big box on the floor look at the Arb setup or some of the other options in that style. Check out Amazon for some other options. Anyway, make sure it is a compressor refrigerator. Much lower battery draw, usually about 2.5 amps and 50% duty cycle. Now my experience since 2007 when I pulled the stock Dometic three way fridge and put in a Norcold 12v fridge. When I did that I also did the following. First, added a large (100 AH Group 31) aux battery mounted under the rear seat. Second, mounted a charger that works off shore power, 30 amp, and hardwired it into the circuit, attached to the aux battery. When I am plugged in I have all the 12v current I need and the aux battery is fully charged. Third, I acquired a 50 watt solar panel and charge controller for it. Carried inside and set up outside in the Sun when camped with no shore power. 50 watts turned out to not meet my expectations so I added a second 50 watt panel, still only deployed when parked. About three years ago I got tired of messing around with the solar panels, both inside and outside, so I mounted a 120 watt panel on the roof of the Westy. (that will be going to a 200 watt panel as soon as I get to that project and budget will allow) And then, as part of the initial setup in 2007, I ordered a Honda 1000 watt generator. I had shore power charging and Solar charging but I wanted the cover the worst case situation. Belt and suspenders. I have probably only used the generator, at most, a dozen times in nine years to charge the aux battery. But have used it many times for other things especially when camped with large groups. So I still carry it. The Norcold quit on me about a year ago and has been replaced with a Truckfridge. Very happy with that. I'm on the third Group 31 battery, finally got a true deep cycle from Interstate. The previous two were not deep cycle and did not like the abuse they got from me. Source for all this stuff? Westy Ventures for fridge solutions, several options there. Solar? eBay has been the best for me. Generator? Shop the Internet. Although I don't have it anymore I was given a phone number for an online source. The price I ended up paying by calling included shipping and was about $70 cheaper than that same vendor showed for online orders.

I don't know if any of this helps in your case but thought I'd throw it out hoping that it does.