Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 2016 22:14:09 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: removing air conditioner without spilling the Freon
Comments: To: Jon VO <jondvo@GMAIL.COM>

I disagree with your disagreement.  My '87 had complete but inop A/C when I bought it.  A local shop gave an outrageous estimate for repair so I decided to try it myself and used one of those R134a conversion kits from Advance Auto.  About $50 total and a couple of hours' work to recharge the system.  Cool air resulted but not terrific airflow, so then I made a discovery I've tried to share with the Vanagon community; removing the grey plastic A/C enclosure above the back seat vastly improves airflow to the front seats. Admittedly, the Westy A/C setup is not ideal.  Most of the cooling gear is at the rear of the van with a long hike for that air to reach the front, but by removing the plenum you remove a tremendous restriction to airflow and I promise you'll be shocked and delighted at the improvement once that barrier has been removed. Take a look at this Samba thread and follow the users who've realized the benefits of going plenumless.  There's some skepticism and a considerable amount of "healthy discussion," but also a few converts.  I still need to replace the hoses on my van and fix a leak that requires annual charges, but it has kept me cool on a 103F day in Kentucky and countless 95-100F days elsewhere, usually with the fan on setting #2 once it cools down.  Good luck! Stephen TheSamba.com :: Vanagon - View topic - Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum |   | |   | |   |   |   |   |   | | TheSamba.com :: Vanagon - View topic - Westfalia A/C ven...Classified ads, photos, shows, links, forums, and technical information for the Volkswagen automobile | | | | View on www.thesamba.com | Preview by Yahoo | | | |   |