Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Mar 2016 00:17:01 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tranmission R & R
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

manual trans ? not that hard, comes out pretty easily with engine staying mostly in place. ( sometimes I put longer bolts in place at the end of the engine cross power, so it's a few inches longer. Ya gotta have longer 8 X 1.25mm nuts and bolts around for things like that. )

need a good floor jack, and at least 2, preferable 4, really good jack stands, and a decent floor surface to work on.

basically straight forward . undo the axles, the shift linkage , the back up light switch wire, the clutch hydraulics...leave the slave attached to the line, don't open up the clutch hydraulics. the ground cable to body , the front mount , the engine-to-trans connection .. anything else I forgot to mention. lower carefully away...forward and down and out, bit at a time. Trans will balance nicely on a decent floor jack.

duh..support the engine so trans can come off and engine not fall. like from above with a 2 X 4 and chains/rope...... is one way.

auto trans is a little different and a more bothersome.

Do good careful work. Scott

On 3/17/2016 12:06 AM, John Rodgers wrote: > This has got to be done on my '88 GL and I'm wondering how difficult is it > as a home project done on a paved driveway. Never done it myself, but I'm > at home with mechanical stuff, just a bit limited by side effect of stroke, > but often use the universal compensator to get the job done. > > What special tools or equipment would be needed or nice to have for the job? > > Thanks. > > John >