Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:58:46 -0600
From:         OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tranmission R & R
Comments: To: "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Great List from SDF ~ Just like to add that You don't need to completely remove the AxleShafts,

just Disconnect from Trany & Hang them up out of the way with BailingWire or Hangers ~ If You run

into trouble removing any of the CVJ AllenHeadBolts due to them being WallowedOut, here is a Trick

that Works Like a Charm ~ a 12mm 12Point Socket can be Hammered OnTo the BoltHead & then with

a Ratchet applied they Should Loosen Easily ~ Always Spray some PB Blaster or Zep45 in between the

CVJ Flange & the Trany VeryEarlyOn in the project to help "LoosenUp" those Bolts if they have not been

out in a while ~

I've done many of the Trany Remove&Replaces in My Driveway on My Back on a Creeper on a 4x8

Sheet of ParticleBoard ('cause My Driveway is VeryOld DisintegratedConcrete (essentially Gravel)) ~ With

RearTires Up on Ramps there is a QuiteComfortable amount of Space under there to do the work ~

While a FloorJack will work nicely, I Prefer a TranyJack as their FootPrint is ConsiderablySmaller &

that allows for more Maneuvering Space for Me ~

I used to use a 2x4 + Chain to support the Eng' for this job & it does work QuiteWell ~ I like to use

1 that is 6ish Ft Long for Leverage, placed Front to Rear over the CenterLine off the Eng' ~ Place 2 or 3

2x4 Blocks Under it @ the RearHatchLatch area so once you have the Front TranyMount Bolts removed

you can Raise the RearEnd of the 2x4, Take Out 2 or 3 of those Blocks, then Lower the Trany + FrontEnd

of the Eng' so the FrontEnd of the Trany will Clear the ChassisCrossMember when You pull it Forward ~

Leaving the Eng' hanging like this will help alignment when it comes time to Stuff the Trany BackIn ~

I did the last one just a month ago the day after I QuiteStupidly lifted a Vanagon SliderDoor with

My 36In Arms + 71YrOld Shoulders & QuiteAdequately MessedUp My Remaining GoodShoulder, so it can

be done with a Handicap ~ But Do Be Careful ~ Using Your Noggin is GreatAdvise ~ Just Don't UseIt to

prevent any Heavy Objects from Falling ~

ORR ~ DeanB