Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Mar 2016 01:47:18 -0400
From:         Karl Mullendore <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 21:42:55 -0500, John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Van Cafe sells an adapter that allows you to install a late model TDI >starter. On the WBX. That combination eliminates the need for the starter >shaft bushing. The starter itself is very powerful because it starts diesel >engines. And mine cost under $100 off of EBAY. > >Here is the link: >http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-STARTER-FOR-VW-DIESEL-TDI-MANUAL-TRANS-HIGH-TORQUE-2Kw-ONE-YR-WARRANTY-/300475513229?hash=item45f5bc798d:g:p8EAAOxyJX1TFmlY&vxp=mtr > >Heres the Adapter. >http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html > >This is a pigtail you will need >http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1673971 > >John

Just to clear up any confusion and give credit where due: The TDI starter adaptor design and production is mine - Van Cafe and Rocky Mountain Westy both sell my product. Thanks for the correct link to my website. I also sell the plug on the same page and source these from the vendor advertising on the Samba. For more of the story: The high failure rate of the IMI starter that Gowesty and others sell was what spawned the prototype for my adaptor - I had a customer with one of these starters on a conversion I built years ago. He and his wife drove the van to central America and back, twice. Over that period THREE of these 'wonderful' IMI starters failed. This fixed it finally. The TDI starter has more power and faster cranking speed than any variant of the IMI; I sell my adaptors for all sorts of conversions, Subaru 4 and 6 cylinder, V8, it seems capable of cranking whatever engine is thrown at it. Another downside to the IMI is that when it fails, it's done, no rebuilds. The TDI starter can be found almost anywhere, rebuilt and some places new. Karl westyventures.com