Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:48:37 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aftermarket bumpers
Comments: To: Nick Feickert <thesuperflydisco@GMAIL.COM>

We all can agree that the factory bumpers are just trim pieces, not bumpers. The front trim piece is mounted to a detailed frame section that is designed as part of a deformation system designed to absorb energy in the event of a crash. The rear does not seem to have as much engineering back there and what is there seems to rely on the bumper brackets alone.

That said while we all want super indestructible bumpers there is a consequence. The consequence could be as small as moving collision damage to other parts of the body or chassis or as large as a collision causing or increasing the chance or severity of injury. Current vehicle designs are extremely sacrificial. Fold up like tin cans right up to the passenger safety cell. The cars become garbage in even low speed impacts but the occupants open the doors and walk away. Some of that is designed into the Vanagon. Change the bumpers and that gets affected also. When the tube bumpers do get involved in a collision that causes them to give the increased damage can be surprising.

The other consideration is the increased weight. Not just the added pounds but where those pounds are added. There is a huge difference putting 175 pound in the cargo or passenger area vs. hanging it in place of the front bumper. This not only changes the handling characteristics but increases loading on the front end components. Taller springs and shims can restore the ride height but all that extra loading is still on the lower suspension parts. When you are done with your project it would be a good idea to weight the vehicle to get your axle weights so that you know what you can carry. That certification sticker near the driver's door is not just a guideline.

For an 85 my taste would be the GoWesty bumpers with the hitch. To match I would also avoid the chrome trim. I like the look and reasonable weight. As for attachments I have learned to hate a lot of that stuff. I request my customers to leave that stuff at home when they bring the van in for service. Then banged shins and head bumps get really annoying and it does add to the time required for many tasks. Generally, once you go beyond bike or kayak racks outside storage is another indication you have outgrown the vehicle. The tubs bumpers and big tire look make a little more visual sense on the Syncros. To me I prefer compact and keep it clean approach. There is always the trailer option for the one off events where you really need to carry more stuff.

Dennis