Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:27:07 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Ownership Misadventures
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

Time for a longer trip. Some of these gremlin events could have been avoided with better inspections and even repair procedures. That oil pump gasket usually will weep or leak for some time before a piece blows out. Hopefully the correct one was used but that will show up on longer tri when the oil pressure drops when the oil gets hot. For the belts were they replaced after the pump was repaired? Installed correctly something isn’t quite right. Could just be bad luck . Over the years I have found that the combination of do it yourself and having major repairs be out sourced has limitations for effectiveness. Planned and preventive maintenance goes far beyond oil changes and filters as a vehicle gets older. Rarely will I install an engine or transmission where I do not find a bunch of other stuff in need of attention.

Dennis

For those following my ownership misadventures - I finally got a newly rebuilt tansmission installed and a new clutch - only to immediately have a severe oil leak appear. This leak I could not repair myself, so off to the local guru shop for fix'in. Turned out to be a ruptured oil pump seal. Small wonder there was so much oil.

After the repair, I picked up the van at the shop and started home. I was on a county road, and stopped at a service station to check the oil and water. I pulled out on I-20 from Atlanta to B'ham, went a quarter of a mile when suddenly the alternator light and oil pressure buzzer and light came on. WTH????

I quickly turned off the engine, turned on the flashers, and coasted to the side of the road. By the time I stopped I already had my suspicions

As suspected from the sudden appearance at speed of the alternator light and oil pressure light and sounding of the buzzer, the alternator/coolant pump belt had failed.

I checked under the back seat for my spare belt, found it and pulled it out. BUT - sitting there in the growing darkness - I had a problem created by my own hand!! My tool box was sitting in the garage at home. I didn't have tool one in the van. I learned long ago that if you own a vanagon, you don't go anywhere without a box of tools. I had taken everything including the toolbox out of the van and had the van tranported by AAA to the shop. When I went to pick the van up, being only a short drive, I FAILED to take the tool box with me. So there I was, on the side of I-20, in the dark, a continous stream of tractor-trailer rigs whizzing by me at 6-8 feet away, with spare part - and no tools!!

My best bet was to call Jim Connell, of Jim's Aircooled VW, help. He had, I learned, gone home sick earlier in the day. But, he called on his grandson to come to my rescue. In about 20 minutes the lad showed up in a supremely tricked out Jeep, with approriated tools. He got right on it and had the new belt on in just a few minutes.

I started the engine, and he checked it and all seemd well, and buttoned it up. As I pulled away, I went 25 ft. And the oil pressure warning light and horn came on. Once again, I stopped on the side of I-20.

Jim's grandson pulled up behind me. I told him what happened and he immediately reached dowm and felt for the oil pressure switch wire, found it disconnected from the switch, and reconnected it. Problem solved. Turns out when that particular belt fails, it will knock that wire loose almost every time.

Again, down the road. This time I made it home with no problem. I now have Vanagon wheels on which to ride.

Durst I ask - what next?

John