Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Mar 2016 14:29:50 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Muffler upgrade info request
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

here's what I'll say... the 2.1 exhaust system is better made and superior in every way over the 'why-didn't-we-do-it-better-initallly-anyway?" semi-joke 1.9 system.

advantages ... first of all, an actual Real Muffler support and mounting system. That afterthought bracket affair on the right side of the 1.9 ..I've seen a hundred broken ones. Like they weren't even thinking when they ...'whoops...I guess we have to come up with some way to support this muffler." pure back yard silly engineering.

On the 2.1 ..the cast aluminum bracket that bolts to the aft send of the engine has too big cast in tabs, with two bolt holes each. These hold nice cradle-style well made stamped steel brackets, that take straps over the top. Holds the 2.1 muffler just excellently. These cradle brackets are different 'altitude' relative to the body for a Syncro, so be sure you get 2WD ones if that's what you drive. I would buy new ones at Van Cafe myself.

2. the header pipes are a little longer, and on the left side there is a cast iron collector junction..that part ain't wearing out easily.

3. The whole exhaust is more to the left, so there is room for a 2.1 style oil cooler/heat exchanger. There are lots of those around, they come on all diesel vanaons, all TD jetta type cars, and all 2.1 waterboxers. You need the longer pipe that screws into the block that the cooler and oil filter mount to. And the large ( 27mm I think ) nut that holds the cooler on, and o-ring there. These are fairly easy to plumb into a 1.9 cooling system. Conveniently, the plastic junction piece on the firewall that has 4 main coolant hoses connected to it, and a small bleed line.. the Auto Trans Version of this part has 2 hose nipples on the far side of the firewall to feed coolant to an auto trans oil. Just connect your 'new' oil cooler/heat exchanger there. This part is a worthwhile upgrade.. helps engine oil get up to temp sooner, helps stabilize engine oil temps, and does a little cooling when things are really hot.

4. The 2.1 muffler is both longer and larger diameter than the 1.9 muffler. I assume that aids in flow and reduces back pressure a little bit. Personally, I just paint all my exhaust system parts with first....Flame Proof brand gray primer.............then Flame Pro0f final coat, in gray, black, red whatever you like . They stay non-rusted pretty well that way.

a word of caution ..there are 2.1 mufflers in the aftermarket that are improperly made in the smaller 1.9 muffler diameter. You don't want one of those. If you ever see one on a vanagon you'll know because someone jammed something like an old brake pad in the support bracket and clamp so it'll clamp down on the muffler, or shortened the strap or something mickey mouse.

5. While not 'an advantage' ...the 02 sensor on a 2.1 is in the Cat, not the J pipe on the side. You could keep your 1.9 cat and get an O2 bung welded into the 2.1 J-Pipe on the left, which is a very well made pipe. Considerably better than the 1.9's.

< the 1.9.... that same pipe, without a cast iron collector junction like the 2.1 uses, likes to rot and rust. I probably have 4 good ones and 3 rusted to junk ones of those pipes. Generally I don't assemble much that is 1.9 at all these days ..and as I wrote early ..ALL systems and parts from the 2.1 will retrofit to the 1.9 easily. )

re Stainless Steel ..sure , will hold up longer, though it's a little weird as a metal. if you ever have to drill any, you need really good cobalt bits. It welds nicely with the right equipment, but doesn't like being cut with an oxy-accetylene torch.

I'm happy with plane old steel... aluminized steel I believe, in good Vanagon mufflers. The ones I get from Halsey Automotive in Portland OR are usually made in Italy. They Last just fine for me.

lastly, you'll need a 2.1 tail pipe and gasket.

it's like 15 parts or something, total.... ..but so, so much better.

Scott

On 3/31/2016 1:43 PM, Eric Caron wrote: > Hi folks, > > 2 Muffler questions. If I upgrade now to a 2.1 muffler on my 85 1.9 What stainless muffler would folks recommend and why? Is there only the Go Westy or is there another and what are the advantages? > > > Also, Am I likely to notice any differences in sound or performance? What might I expect? > > Anyone done this to a 1.9 and have info to share? > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Auto >