Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2016, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:30:07 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Loss- is it that time again?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

sorry .. not true, you don't need the 2.1 cooling system to run a 2.1 type oil cooler. You do need the 2.1 exhaust though of course, for clearance.

see my post today at 2:29 PM ( that's what my version says anyway ) I tell how to plumb a 2.1 type oil cooler/heat exchanger into a 1.9 cooling system, while using the 2.1 exhaust system on a 1.9............ a wonderful upgrade.

Cost depends on how you get the parts. Once in a while a typical pick n' pull junkyard has this stuff ( tho engine usually goes fast as a whole unit ) . I got, for example, with a lot of hard work, and entire 1987 front end .. springs,shocks, suspension arms, brakes..spindles, bearings, discs, calipers, hoses, all bolts and fasteners, etc ..and power steering rack and shaft that goes to it ( PS and manual steering are different ) ... ..the Whole Magilla .. For maybe $ 100. Maybe it was 150 with the rack, but not more than that. Just a good bunch of hard work, plus you have to schlep everything, tools and parts, from and to your van out front and the donor van. a two wheel dolly sure helps , with big tires. ( from HF ) .

Scott

On 3/31/2016 4:14 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > The cooler needs plumbing and clearance that doesn't exist with the 1.9. So, > you need the complete 2.1 cooling system (including water pump) and the > complete 2.1 exhaust system to make this work. Not so easy or cheap, and > best done along with a rebuild making it into a 2.2! > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Eric Caron > Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:48 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Coolant Loss- is it that time again? > > Hi Scott and others, > > Scott seems to be saying adding the 2.1 oil cooler to the 1.9 is pretty > straight forward. Is that the case? It certainly sounds like something my > 1.9 would benifit from. How straight forward is this addition? > What steps are needed? > > Thanks, > > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Auto > > > >> On Mar 31, 2016, at 5:47 PM, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) > <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: >> I'm always amazed how , evidently, some people seem to resist getting >> Hands On , on the thing.. >> and find out what is going on FIRST .. >> before ordering or getting parts. >> >> that's what I suggest..take the dang thing about and see what is going >> on there. >> Could just be a matter of clean up and put back together carefully. >> >> ( sometimes I get the hose further down over the plastic pipe and use >> two hose clamps there. ) >> >> one ofmy sayings ..there's no substitute for actually taking apart, >> looking, working on it etc. >> NOTHING will change the situation until that is done first. >> >> in a rare case, yes, you have a working vehicle and you just touch >> something .. >> and totally push things over the edge, and then you don't have a working >> vehicle. >> To be avoided for sure .. >> but really ...get down and dirty ! lol. >> >> Perhaps not many people fix things on a regular basis anymore. >> That's almost 'all I do' .........like 50 times a week or more. Just >> fix and repair and restore stuff. >> it's fun and rewarding, and not expensive to do at all. I encourage it. >> I think there is a terrible lack of 'physicality' in modern life. >> Like splitting firewood, lifting and hauling stuff ...using hands, brain >> and body regularly. >> >> I modified my tricycle before I even went to kindergarten. No one >> taught me how either. Been doing it ever since. >> >> a gallon of coolant is a LOT .... >> long term, if you find a donor Vanagon ..the 2.1 cooling system is >> better for sure, than the 1.9 version. >> btw..ALL parts and systems are interchangeble between 1.9 and 2.1 engines. >> I often run 1.9's on 2.1 Digifant fuel injection, upgrade 1.9's to 2.1 >> cooling system, etc. >> I always run the vastly improved 2.1 exhaust system on 1.9 engines. >> And then you can use the 2.1 oil cooler/heat exchanger on your 1.9 . >> Works great. >> >> if you like doing that sort of thing that is. >> >> VROOOM ! >> Scott >> >> >> >> >> >> On 3/31/2016 11:25 AM, David wrote: >>> Narrowing down- that's my next inspection point- I'll be pressure >>> testing as well and will post results...I'm assuming that rust color >>> is from the internal piece breaking down...I'm wondering if I should >>> just purchase the Go Westy kit as an ounce of prevention :-/ >>> >>> Dave >>> >>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) >>> <scottdaniel@turbovans.com <mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com>> wrote: >>> >>> the plastic pipes.. >>> particularily at the front ends of them, near the radiator, are >>> notorious for having the a metal insert slip out of place, out of >>> the end of the plastic pipe....causing a leak .. >>> >>> and sometimes, a sudden large leak. >>> I've had it happen out on the road in a seemed-just-fine personal >>> Vanagon, and I've seen a wonderful Vanagon in a junkyard with >>> fried engine for this Exact cause. >>> >>> you might keep an eye on this spot, you might pull the hose off >>> and 're-do' in there, etc. >>> GW sells a kit I gather, as well. >>> >>> fwiw, if I was going to attempt to re-glue the metal insert back >>> into the plastic pipe, I'd use Marine Tex ...one of the best >>> two-part epoxies you'll ever find. >>> >>> in any case..investigate that spot further I suggest ! >>> >>> Scott >>> >>> On 3/31/2016 4:26 AM, David wrote: >>>> Ok, the hunt is on...completely topped up system... Visual inspection >>>> reveals externally, at the worst a rusty spot on one of the forward > coolant >>>> plastic hoses... really? with it idling in the drive, with me revving > it, >>>> it's still bone dry on the outside :-/ >>>> >>>> I guess more time needs to pass and need to see more coolant losss... >>>> >>>> Probably time to replace plugs so I'll endeavor into that and maybe > that >>>> will tell me something...Still have to get a pressure gauge on it and > see >>>> what that reveals...if anything from the outside... >>>> >>>> Oh yeah, and initial test with running the van cold fo 30 secs to see > if >>>> any burps come out from combustion getting into coolant turned out >>>> negative....no bubble, nada, nuthin... >>>> >>>> Will post more as I go through this... >>>> >>>> Dave >>>> >>>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Phil Zimmerman<philzimm1@shaw.ca> > <mailto:philzimm1@shaw.ca> wrote: >>>>>> From: David [mailto:fjazzbass@gmail.com] >>>>>> Any advice is welcome... do we have to check for exhaust in the > coolant? >>>>>> Dave >>>>>> 85 1.9 GL MT >>>>> Dave, >>>>> >>>>> Another internal leak symptom the check if you have not located the > source: >>>>> Pull all four spark plugs, in order and compare their electrodes. >>>>> A clean electrode, if present, will show itself compared to the > normal grey >>>>> to black oil/carbon of combustion. A clean spark-plug electrode is a > sign >>>>> of >>>>> coolant getting into the combustion chamber. >>>>> >>>>> Subaru coolant conditioner has worked wonders for a number of folk > on this >>>>> list. >>>>> >>>>> Good hunting Dave. >>>>> >>>>> Phil z. >>>>> On his rock off the west coast >>>>> >>>