Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Apr 2016 08:38:28 -0400
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 91 Headlight Upgrade
Comments: To: Brent Weide <brent.weide@gmail.com>

Brent, I think it will be difficult to measure the improvement numerically because, as I understand it the differences in the two systems are more about the distribution of the light than about simple brightness. In principle maybe, on a very dark road, one could walk around with a light meter and distance measuring devices and gather lots of data and then plot it on graph paper.

When I did my headlite relay upgrade I checked the brightness before and after using a Gossen Luna Pro meter left from the days when I took photographs with an antique Leica camera. In a dark garage, I blocked off one side at a time and then, at a set distance, moved the meter around to find the highest reading, in EV as I recall.

My wiring changes started with a 30A fuse holder attached at the positive battery terminal and then a hefty wire running up to the space behind the grill near the headlites. I mounted two relays there, one for high beams and one for low, and attempted to protect them from the weather. I also grounded the lights to the body near by. This gave a measurable and visible increase in brightness. I also then changed the bulbs from the standard 9004 to the enhanced brightess bulbs from the FLAPS, from Sylvania I think. Of course when you get more lumens from the same watts you pay the price with a shorter bulb life. Over all I got brighter lights, but of course, no improvement in the distribution of light on the road.

Are you planning to go with the South African grill, etc. or simply go back to the '84 grill and lights?

Good luck, Larry A.