Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Apr 2016 07:34:50 -0700
From:         Cox Home Email <ksmalcolm@COX.NET>
Subject:      Subaru 2.2L Conversion and Vanagon Evap Canister Integration

I have an '89 Vanagon GL Camper, A/T, with 1992 Subie 2.2L KEP conversion.

I was educating myself on the Vanagon and Subie engine emissions systems and discovered that the evap canister hose connections were not per KEP. The bottom hose was just routed into the adjacent frame and canister valve lines (purple and white) were not connected to engine vacuum per KEP.

I've learned that the canister bottom hose routing to the frame is factory (?). What I don't understand is why the Vanagon evap system is not per KEP as the engine conversion is supposedly CARB certified. I know, this is a question for the PO. No answer yet.

So I dutifully connected the evap system the way KEP instructs.

I go for emissions testing (Phoenix AZ) and fail for high NOx. Is it anyone's opinion that it is just coincidence or does connecting up the evap system per conversion instructions have anything to do with NOx readings? No vacuum leaks as far as I can tell.

Can't readily interrogate the ECU as CEL does not respond. (Something else that should be working for CARB certification I believe.

The 1992 Subie does not have an EGR system to deal with the NOx. I'm replacing the catalytic converter and see what happens.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Frustrated but optimistic in AZ.

Kent Malcolm