Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Apr 2016 21:49:59 -0600
From:         OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Redline MT90
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

John

I was using AmsOil 75w90 TranyLube back in 09 when I put an EJ25 in my 90Westy & 6Mos later I had to have Daryl

build me a Replacement Trany due to a Bad 3-4Slider ~ @ that time Daryl was still feeling OK with using RedLine & so that

is what I put in ~ I ran that for about 15000mi's until Daryl recommended that I dump it & we had several discussions about

what I might switch to ~ I am a BigFan of Valvoline products & after a few discussions with their Techs & Daryls' Blessings on

the decision I started running Valvos' SynPower 75w90 & have been very Happy with it for the past 43000mi's ~ Shifts are

SilkySmooth, even when Cold (they were not with R'L') & the Trany was quieter also ~

I gather that the decision has to do a lot with how much power you have in your Vanagon & how you use it. I've put a

bit shy of 95000mi's on my 90Westy since I acquired it in Jun'06 & the majority of those were with a Canoe on the roof &

some with a RaftTrailer behind & the last 46000 of which have been with an EJ25 below deck. I generally like to drive @ or

slightly over the the speed limit (by no more than 5%) when terrain & winds allow & I also run 235/75r16 tires on the Rear

so I feel that I am usually asking the tranny to do a bunch of work.

The Valvo' SynPower 75w90 is a GL5 & it does have Sulfur in it so before I switched to it I contacted Valvoline & told

them what my application was & was assured that there would be no negative results from using it in my VanagonTrany as

the Sulfur that they use is not damaging to YellowMetals. Since it was many miles back, I don't remember much about the

AmsOil as far as Noise&Shifts go but the Valvoline is very quite & shifts flawlessly no matter what the temperature ( never

yet below 10ºF ~ I missed a -7º test here on 3Feb11 just a week before the change from R'L' to Valvo ). With the RedLine

the 1st few shifts on a "cold" or "cool" start had to be done cautiously to avoid a slight grind.

Bottom line is that Valvo' seems to be doing the job very nicely and I have not, in the past, let the price on a product

have an influence on my decisions & I don't adhere to the old premise that you get what you pay for ( a Timex will give you

pretty much the same T'O'D' as a Rolex ) ~ the fact that the Valvo is considerably cheaper than Ams or R'L' & others is just

FrostingOnTheCake for me.

These are simply my experiences & I'm no expert so continue to do your own research.