Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:08:36 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: The hits keep coming
Comments: To: Michael <mikewelldon@ICLOUD.COM>

I'm no auto trans expert, but I've messed around with a Vanagon auto trans with symptoms similar to yours..... fluids get in the wrong place, and it won't go, or it jerks, or it doesn't shift right.

Unless someone gets into that trans and does serious work .. there are only two routes to happiness again ..

a good used working auto trans, or a proper rebuild. Sounds like your trans is toast to me. Kaput, Pau. Done.

You're gonna have to bit the bullet ...I like German Transaxle in Bend OR for my trans rebuilds.

Can't imagine how engine oil could get to the auto trans differential area.

Scott

On 4/9/2016 7:35 AM, Michael wrote: > Many of you have replied with your expertise on the matter of a blown tranny on an 88 auto. Or at least those kind of symptoms. > > Now here is a new development. I wanted to check to see if I could tell if ATF was mixing with the differential so I unscrewed the drain plug and oil literally came gushing out. When I closed it after filling a couple weeks ago,it was a trickle which I believe means it was filled with close to the 1.3 quarts that is recommended. > > Now, I also changed out the engine oil (it's an ej22 Subaru) and filled that up right. Well, the engine oil is half gone and I believe that's what was in the differential section. No visible leaks anywhere. > > Hard to tell if ATF was mixed in based on the Amberness of synthetic engine oil and the purple color of the diff oil. Plus, it's quite surprising when oil comes flying at your face while under the van. > > I don't really know what this could mean other than probably a good deal of money to fix it. > > Any ideas on the matter? > > Mike