Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:56:15 -0700
From:         Mike Stewart <mikestew@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spare tire
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com>

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 4:28 PM, John Rodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com> wrote:

> I may add the western approach > - Vancouver - thru the Rockies- to the get to Dawson City, the beginning of > the ALCAN. Never have driven that, but understand it is beautiful and > rugged. Definitely a dual spare route from what I understand.

Was up that way just last year on a motorcycle on the way to Deadhorse. If you're referring to the AlCan, the entire length of which I covered last year, it's all paved (save construction areas) and kind of boring these days. Now, I did get a flat on the bike but it was a chunk of metal that took me out, not road conditions. The only part that's even remotely rugged, IMO, is the toward the Yukon/Alaska border where the frost heaves get a bit rough. Still paved, shouldn't take out tires, just an uncomfortable ride I'm guessing. On the bike I just stand on the pegs and don't notice. :-) Regardless, it's been many years since the AlCan was worthy of those "I survived the AlCan" bumper stickers.

If by "rugged" you mean getting from Vancouver to Dawson City, man, you'd have to go out of your way to find roads that would take out tires. The most reasonable routes I know of are all smoothly paved and kind of boring.

For you nuts going to Deadhorse, I didn't think the Dalton was all that bad (granted, a BMW bike built for the task on dual sport tires). The vast majority is just dirt with some gravel sprinkled on top, though after Antigun Pass the gravel got a little thicker. Conditions will change, of course, by the time you get there. I'd be more worried about my windshield than tires, though I'd bring a couple of those, too. And extra gas: bring some. I know our '81 stands no chance of making it the 240 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse on what the stock tank carries. (The BMW holds 8 gallons and gets 45mpg; I just needed to top off with a few gallons when I got to Deadhorse. <g>) -- Mike Stewart