Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2016 21:18:26 -0500
From:         KI4TLF <ki4tlf@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wrecker find today, 2wd tin top made in Austria
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

As an FYI,

Several years ago I purchased a 12v NiCad/NiMH battery charger and mounted it in the glove box. I keep several of those flashlights around with a couple extra rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. I also installed a small switch so I can turn it on or off, so it won't run the battery down when sitting for several weeks.

Greg Bartlett, TN

And FYI, I find that those ubiquitous 9 LED flashlights, you know the cylindrical ones that are about 3" in length and 1" in diameter and take 3 AAA batteries and available in many colors of the rainbow, are a FAR superior solution to reading maps in the dark instead of being hunched over with a dim light above the glovebox. So my van has 2 of those mounted for ready access, a 3rd one in the glovebox, and a bunch of AAA batteries in the drawer. Ready for reading maps or WHATEVER. Tremendous battery life and performance from those things, around $1 each.

I always smear some general purpose grease on contacts in flashlight and on the ends of the batteries, just a smear. Defeats corrosion superbly. No, NOT di-electric grease, just white lithium grease or whatever, practically anything, Vaseline is good too. I live 1 mile from the ocean with a salty sea-breeze, and a little grease goes a long way, keeps things working. Especially when you need it most.

Rich San Diego

From: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 5:19 PM Subject: Re: Wrecker find today, 2wd tin top made in Austria Your comment.... "That silly wonderful map light? Yeah the switch can be broken by a stiff or otherwise cadaver. Only takes a feather touch to turn on/off..." That "feather touch" is so true; like when wiping down the interior with a moist chamois after car washing. Numerous times I noticed the light was on accidentally after doing so. With car parked in garage for many days until the next outing and not noticing, a superb candidate for dead battery. I removed bulb, tossed into glove box, and there it remains. Rich San Diego

From: Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 5:11 PM Subject: Re: Wrecker find today, 2wd tin top made in Austria Right or wrong a '91 2wd assembled in Graz in pretty cool. I know of a'92 syncro weekender assembled in Graz (Valid VIN)... Now resides in Nanaimo, BC. Sent to BC as a Dealer loaner kept in Vancouver. Used as a weekend ski Van to Whistler as the story goes.

Perhaps mumbo-jumbo (on gerry vanagon): left over'90 Vanagons in Cali were re-VIN'ed as'91's? Have not read where this has been validated or confirmed?

The part of this story that I believe to be true is around, the bodies were pressed in Hannover and sent to Graz for storage and assembly as either 2wd/4wd during the'91-92 dates of manufacture. Posses the question: were any '91-92 full-campers assembled in Graz? As full-campers were assembled in Westphalia?? Anyone have a full-camper with a Graz initial in the VIN?

That silly wonderful map light? Yeah the switch can be broken by a stiff or otherwise cadaver. Only takes a feather touch to turn on/off... Anything more... takes a re-build.

Happy Fryeday

Phil z. --------------- On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 19:04:29 -0700, BenT <syncro@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >It is my understanding that all 90-91 T3's were assembled in Graz. >BenT >sent from my electronic leash