Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Apr 2016 11:59:50 +0000
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Write Up: Inexpensive Interior Lighting
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller6@att.net>

As always, your work and experimentation is great.

I like these little puck lights, they last a long time and can be put anywhere. But over the years I have come to appreciate the permanence of wired-in lighting. The two most important places are between the driver and passenger seat, overhead, exactly where your front light it. There I put two aircraft-style goosenecks that can aim together or separately at anything from the glove box interior to a map to the the interior of the pantry or a portapotty in the main cabin floor. The power was taken off the driver's side courtesy light by partially dropping the ceiling trim and running a wire.

The other important spot, as you noted, is over the rear seat. This probably gets used camping more often than the fixture over the sink. I ran a wire from the over sink fixture wiring up the channel behind the "panel shelf" and then across the bed platform to a fluorescent fixture (would use an LED fixture these days, which really didn't exist when this was done over 250 "camp nights" ago) right over the seat.

I did use those same stick-on fixtures in the back, aimed straight down. They are great when you are sleeping down there, obviously, but also when you need light in the engine compartment.

Alas the adhesive only stood up to so much Alabama summer heat and one by one they ended up other places than where they were intended. Your article has made me determined to give them another try back there with a different mount.

For exterior lights I have two CibiƩ fogs on the front from the seventies or eighties I guess with the original covers. They look great and "age appropriate." Out the rear under the bumper I have one of those superbright Cree lights for backing into campsites. Both are relayed in and controlled by a switch mounted in a Vanagon graphic under the dash. Switching to the front, as illustrated on the graphic, you get the fogs. To the rear you get the camping light. Both relays only get power when there is power to the parking lights and when the switch is on so you can't make the mistake of killing the battery by leaving them on without knowing about it.

Jim