Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2016, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Apr 2016 09:43:33 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vent wing seals? Anybody?
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>,
          Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>

You might want to check if that part is actually lead. It may be zinc, which I think is more likely. Scrape a bit off, lead will be shiny under the surface and zinc will be the same dull color.

That seal looks like zinc to me. A final test is sulfuric acid (battery acid). Lead will not be affected, but zinc will dissolve. Unfortunately, this is a sacrificial test if it's zinc!

You could still cast it from zinc, but zinc melts at 782 F and lead melts at 622 F.

Stuart