Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2016, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 May 2016 12:41:06 -0700
From:         Stan Shapiro <mail@STANSHAPIRO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Repair and Maintenance Class--Beginner level

I had considered YouTube. Actually, about a year ago we explored making a set of training videos. Its actually a lot harder than you would ever imagine. I have gone to film school, and I have produced, shot, and edited tons of video. The challenge in auto repair videos is getting the closeups and getting ALL of the shots you need, so the viewer can actually be oriented as to what is going on. A live stream of a 4 hour class would be horrible to watch, because the camera would constantly be in motion--it would be dizzying to watch--there might, at best, be 2 hours of video content in the 4 hour class.

That said, if anyone ever wants to write a scrip, do the repairs, I could shoot the video, edit the video, and then there would have to be a voice over of the finished video product for it to make any sense to the viewer.

Shooting anything on the fly, such as the 4 hour class, and then hoping you have a product that makes sense, almost never works. There is always a shot that needs to be redone, a different angle, better lighting etc. It is far better to write the script, get the shots you need, then edit it to a final product.

stan